Monday, February 20, 2012

Small Miracles



There have been so many miracles and things to be thankful for these last 3 1/3 months. When I look at them I feel safe and cared for and guided as I walk through the dizzying maze of cancer treatment. Here are a few:
1)Gall bladder attack that led me to go to the doctor. 
2)The doctor finding the tumor by simply pressing on my belly. This kind of cancer is asymptomatic in the beginning. And I was way past the beginning. Yet had no symptoms. The cancer was found just before it went into my bones. If it was in my bone marrow it would be a huge leap in how I would be treated.
3) My own sense of peace and confidence that started at the very beginning and just kept building as I saw how effective the treatment can be. 
4) One week after the first chemo session I was sitting in bed one evening when I began to have an excruciating pounding pain in my low back area. I sent an instant message to my family asking for prayer. They responded that they were on it. Within 5 minutes the pain was gone. And it didn't return. I credit prayer and divine intervention.
I asked the doctor about it. He said that it was caused by the Neulesta shot that I get the day after chemo. It is a sign that my bone marrow has kicked into high gear and is making new blood cells to replace those damaged by the chemo. This too is a miracle
4) Neulesta shot. This is one of the treatments that have evolved as they fine tune chemotherapy. It prevents blood counts from dipping so low that the person get infections that land them in the hospital and make it necessary to postpone chemo.
5) The cost of my treatment is completely paid for by my insurance. I haven't seen the bottom line. But the bills are coming in. Im thinking we are pushing $50-75,000. The neulesta alone is $6000 a pop. I get it the day after chemo. But in the long run if it prevents just one hospitalization it is worth it.
6) The timing of Oliver's birth. The first thing I said to the doctor when he told me that I had cancer was, 'My first grandchild is due in January.' He said, 'You'll be there'.
I had my 3rd chemo on December 27. It usually takes me a week to get back to normal. Oliver was born just one week later on January 2.  Katie called me at 10:30AM to tell me she was in labor. I was on a plane by 1PM. When I arrived in Oakland, Shirley(my sister) was there to pick me up. As we crossed the bay bridge Bruce messaged that Katie was just starting to push. I got there at 4:30. Oliver was born at 8:30.  Katie had serious complications after the birth. I was able to be with her to offer moral support, nursing care and my medical expertise as she received emergency treatment.


7) Oliver. Throughout the 3 weeks after he was born while Katie was in and out of the hospital, Oliver was a little trouper. Katie insisted on nursing him when she was able. She nursed him when she came back from surgery, while she was receiving blood transfusions and while she was in the ER. Oliver just latched on like a champ and nursed away. I never had to work with him to help him nurse. He just got it. At times we had to give him a bottle because Katie was in surgery or getting tests. He easily switched back and forth from bottle to breast. We were able to have someone with them 24/7 since Katie wasn't able to take care of him other than nursing him.
8) I was able to be with Katie and Bruce and Oliver for two weeks. I returned home to have my next chemo therapy right on schedule.
9) The cancer is pronounced cured after only 2 months of treatment!!!!!!!!!
Think about it. In on November 1 I was diagnosed with Stage 3 (out of 4)aggressive large B cell  that was spread all over my body.  2 months later I had a CT scan and a PET scan( which is able to detect active cancer cells before they show up on the CT scan). The reports came back completely negative. The radiologist when through my body and commented on each place where the cancer had been and commented, 'No evidence of malignant cells'  No matter how this came about, it can only be called a miracle. 
And what is a miracle? The dictionary says: a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency
That pretty much sums it up. Im keeping my eye on the miracle. I thank God every day for them. And I thank all of you who are praying for me. Im safe in this bubble of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.